Thursday, May 24, 2007

Letter to the Editor

I was so nostalgic for Rapid City that I sent a letter to the editor. It was published on May 22, but here it is...
Both have grown through Rapid City experiences

I said good-bye to Rapid City in the fall of 1980 to go to college at the University of Iowa. I was armed with support from this wonderful community such as: a solid education from the Rapid City Schools from K-12, scholarships from generous local branches of national organizations such as PEO and the Elks Lodge, a rich high-school band experience from Jack Knowles of Rapid City Central and optimism fueled by a community of forward-thinkers.Returning for a visit in 2007, I am now armed with a doctorate degree, a beautiful family and many fond memories. Now I see in his beautiful city that great changes have taken place, yet core things can be depended upon. Now Pat Jones is running Central High for real, a brown-haired Paluch kid is still cleaning up on the tennis courts, and there are wonderful facilities for our retired parents such as Holiday Hills. Storybook Island is going strong. Also, your high schools are still churning out well-prepared students ready to conquer the world.Thank You Rapid City. My, how we both have grown. LINDA J. SPENCER Iowa City, Iowa