Saturday, August 02, 2008

MAMMA MIA MANIA

(You can stop the music-video widget by clicking on the "play" button.)
Why was Mamma Mia the PERFECT movie? Because it mixed the songs I literally grew up with into a storyline that was romantic, touching, optimistic and fun, and it pushed all my hot buttons. Background-- in 9th grade Robin Selgeby and I were chosen to go to Red Cross Leadership Training Center somewhere up by Devil’s Lake, ND. We were so excited and we even rigged up a dance routine for the talent show and were dubbed “Dancing Queens” ala ABBA. While there, we both got huge crushes on Witt Pauley, a camp counselor with cherubic blonde curls. I, however, was astute enough to know that he was the “victim” in the drowning scenario training scheme. Boy did I run fast to get to the lake for that emergency (there was CPR involved!). That summer and the next ABBA was THE band for this girl. I bought the 8 track with the money I made working at Stephenson’s Music Store, and I played it over and over on my stereo. Those songs…ahhhh heaven. I swear I can still smell the coconut butter suntan lotion I wore while listening to those songs. I love every minute of the movie and I find the actors to be so natural and so full of joi de verve... but some special parts included when Merril’s character, Donna, runs through the chateau singing and all the village women drop what they are doing to sing and dream with her. We all need dreams. Of course I cried when Donna sings “Slipping through my fingers” as she gets Sophie ready for the wedding. Ohhhh I need to see this movie again and again with my Kira, with my Nathan and with all the people I love!