Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hospice of the Black Hills

We had a very good visit from Hospice this am. Mom's case is a little unique as since she has leukemia, we had to understand that blood transfusions cannot be part of hospice care. At the onset of her diagnosis, we did think she was going to need transfusions due to her low platelet count and anticipated low levels of hemoglobin. Mom has been stable on both counts, however (low, low platelets) but no bleeding. So she was able to be enrolled. Our goals are to keep her in this apartment where she is comforted by routine. What a blessing these people are! They already gave Sue and I the best advice for little things such as bed-to-chair transfers and such and helped me to realize that letting go to do this move to Geneseo is a healthy and needed thing. My family needs me and my mom needs me, and there is just one me, so I go where I need to go when I need to go. Nathan has been wonderful and reminded me that I can fly back to Rapid City in mid July as soon as things get settled down. I pray that I am able to do that. In the meantime, I am going to post some WONDERFUL photos that Sue and I found today. Enjoy!