

Now this one is just the All-American girl. Mom is still beautiful, even in her illness. Her aqua-blue eyes shine. Today was a rough one, with bouts of nausea and weakness. We did get the hospital bed and this is so exciting because it has increased her comfort level immenseley.
I have to leave tomorrow and begin the journey to our new life. I am really excited to bring our branch of the family back to the same area where both my mother and father were born and raised, and to where so many relatives remain. It is so odd as many of these photos were taken just miles away from where we will be living. The irony is that I was thinking mom would join us for Holidays and get to visit her old stomping grounds.
The other irony is that I really feel as if I am home in these Black Hills. I will always be a Black Hills girl and I feel this land is instilled in my blood. This final night of this trip is quite poignant. As I gently lift mom into bed and see her bruised and ravaged body, I pray that I will be able to return in time to see her once more and to tuck her in many more nights as she did for me when I was small, and had a pixie hair cut (see above).
Sue, you are the best sister in the entire world and I am so honored to go experience this most bitter-sweet time with you. Love you forever Suzy-Q!
Finally, I especially want to thank everyone who has been calling, giving us support, words of encouragement and the like. Neil it is so comforting to know you will be here next week.
This is one of the most precious memories we will have and our entire family will treasure this forever. What a gift.